There was a story in the preeminent tabloid about the local Great Resignation.
Top rated comment and top response:
- It’s interesting that this comment is ranked above even those that point out the obvious: a lot of workers are quitting because of the vaccine mandates that this article carefully ignores.
- Commenter Who ‘Woke’ the Right? has likely not suffered any financial setback over the last two years. I would bet that he has a work-from-home job, owns a house that has soared in value and has also enjoyed massive stock market gains in his superannuation fund.
- Bonus points for guessing he has a safe, government job. One wonders if this reply might actually be part of his job.
- He is not indifferent to Wojack‘s plight – it pleases him. He delights in calling him a loser.
- It would have been possible to use gentler language in making the same point, i.e. ‘While I’m sorry you lost your business and wish you all the best, blah blah blah.’
- We see again the bifurcation of society into the two new classes – the prosperous, global, knowledge workers (use quotes if you like) and those who still need to put their pants on and leave the house in order to pay the bills. This news site is mostly read by the latter, hence Wojack‘s comment being the most liked. Chattering class newspapers are the reverse.
- Things are getting nasty out there.
- Note the attitude: ‘How dare you go galt? Fix my internet/serve my coffee/deliver my Amazon goods, you dirty peasant! Wojack‘s reaction is hitting the right spot and without getting bashed by cops.
- The ruling class is already working on a solution to the Great Galt: doubling migration to save the economy.
As Luisman points out (in German), higher-skilled workers are better able to pull this off but lower-skilled workers can also make a difference if they have the numbers. Catatonic workers brought down Communism, eventually.
This is harder to do when there’s a planet full of scab labour available.
If withdrawing your labour, consumption and social participation is all you can do, do that. It may not be enough, though.
The day may come when there is mass emigration of heritage populations from the West.
A few are leaving already.